fbpx
  • sv
  • fi
  • en

WAR MEMORIES

.

The whole cape of Hanko was rented to the Soviet Union as a naval base under the peace treaty of Moscow (13. March 1940), which ended the Winter War. The Soviet Union brought a garrison of 30,000 men to Hanko. The Soviets did extensive building in Hanko, and there are still ruins of fortifications in the centre of the town (see also “The History of Hanko”).

Sights connected to 1940-41 )
• Front Museum: exhibits themes on Finnish history and wars. The museum is located in the village of Lappohja at the actual front line of the war.
• The Monument of Pioneers: there are 22 names on the monument of Pioneers. These soldiers were killed in action and 13 of them died in an explosion on June 30th 1942. The monument was erected by their companions in arms in 1942. The monument is located about 14 km from Hanko town centre, at the crossing of the roads Santalan Kartanontie, Krogarsintie and and the main road 25 to Tammisaari, Hankoniementie.
• Anti-aircraft battery, Kansanpuisto
• Light coastal battery, Varisniemi and Puistovuoret
• Artillery railyard, 305 mm artillery foundations in Tvärminne
• The Soviet Monument: 453 Soviet soldiers are buried close to the monument, 267 of them are unidentiefied. They were killed in action during the Continuation War. The monument is located along the road Täktomintie about 1,5 km from the beginning of the road.

Further sights
• The Soldier´s grave, New Cemetery, Itäinen puistotie
• The Veteran´s Monument, Vuorikatu
• The grave of the Red, New Cemetery, Itäinen puistotie
• The Orthodox cemetery, Nuottasaarentie
• Memorial stone for the Ingrians who were buried in Hanko, New Cemetery, Itäinen puistotie

The Monument of Liberty 
The Monument of Liberty in Hanko was erected in 1921 in remembrance of the landing of German forces in Hanko in 1918. When the citizens of Hanko came back after the area´s Soviet control in 1940-41, the Monument had been removed. Damaged parts were repaired and the monument was rebuilt in 1943, but it was taken down again in 1946. The Monument of Liberty was re-erected in 1960 with a new text: “For our liberty”. The monument is situated by the sea at the end of the street Bulevardi. The monument was planned by Ilmari Wirkkala and Leonard Savola (Granit) and made by sculptor Bertel Nilsson.